Marriage based interview coming up?

Tampa, FL |

My wife and I have our interview coming up soon. She has her EAD in hand. We also filed everything through an attorney which was filed April 2011 and we are just now getting our interview. Thing is our attorney is lazy and does not ever return phone calls. In the time she has been representing us we have probably talked to her 3 times. We asked if she could be present during our interview and she is asking for a $5,000 fee to come to our interview. Which I think is way too much. I talked to another lawyer which said they could come for half the price. My question is do we have to go with our lawyer which we currently have? or can we have another lawyer represent us the day of the interview? Even though he was not our lawyer to begin with? Thank You

Do you have a written fee agreement with your lawyer which details the services you will receive for the fee you have already paid?

I have an associate in your area that will go for significantly less ... assuming that your present lawyer isn't obligated to fulfill her contract to your.

Capriotti International Law
www.capriotti.com
franco@capriotti.com
1-503-803-0055
SKYPE 3-WAY VIDEO AVAILABLE

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Our fee we paid for was for one interview but it was for in the state our lawyer is based out of. But since my wife and I live in Florida, our interview is in Florida and now they are asking $5,000 to represent us during the interview. Am I obligated to go with my current lawyer or can I take a different one and no problems will occur? Thank You

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

If I have this correct, you moved after filing the papers ... which was not part of the agreement with your lawyer, and he/she is asking for additional money ... because you are changing the agreement (ie: interview in different state.) If this is the case, yes it makes sense for the attorney to ask for extra money for extra work. $5,000 is quite high, but travel/hotel/etc. may be part of what they are considering. No, you don't have to stick with that attorney ... many of us go to interviews for others ... much less expensive than incurring the travel expense. Let me know if you would like the contact info on my associate in FL. franco@capriotti.com

Way too much. Take a different attorney.

That is what we are leaning towards. Thank You

The fee you mention is very high. I have practiced law for over 25 years in the State of Florida and do not charge anywhere near $5000.00 for a complete case or $2500.00 for an interview.

Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
(904) 296-7702

$5000 just to go to an interview? Way too much. You have the right to change lawyers anytime you wish. I'd get a copy of your lawyer's file and call another attorney as soon as possible. You certainly do not want to go into the interview without an attorney.

Agree with all responses. $5000 is way too high for attending a marriage interview. Even $2500 is too high. Get another attorney. You can do that.

Marriage and prenups topics