Marriage based adjustment of status

Ann Arbor, MI |

I get married with a US citizen. My current status is F1 student. I have some questions about the process of adjustment of status.
First, where to mail all these forms and supporting document to?
Second, do I need to include supporting documents such as joint back account statement, apt lease, joint health insurance, etc?
Third, on the form I-485, since my husband is a student right now, on the employment section, should I file him as "employed as studnet" or "umemployed"?
Forth, though my husband is a US citizen, he lived abroad for about 2 years during the last three years. He lives in US with me now. Will that infect the approval my application?

1. Congratulations upon your marriage and your plans for your husband to sponsor you in your application to adjust status to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card").
    As you noted from the questions you asked, immigration processes and laws can be far more complex than they first may appear.

The mailing address for the I-130/I-485 and related forms, supporting documents and fees can be found on the instructions to the forms or at www.uscis.gov. It is a good practice to include with the application copies of documents showing that you and your husband are living together in a bona fide marriage, although you should plan to bring originals and copies of updated documents at your adjustment of status interview. It is appropriate to identify the employment of a student as: "student," and of course you may supply any further information at the interview. The fact that a U.S. citizen spouse resided abroad for two years before returning to the U.S. will not impair the application.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com