Marijuana possession under 20 grams and tampering charge, should I hire a lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gainesville, FL

At about 2 am I was pulled over for speeding and I had about a gram of marijuana, I pulled over and tossed the bud in my mouth and opened my door and the officer immediately grabbed my neck and mouth preventing me from swallowing it. The police took me to jail and charged me with possession and tampering, Im only 18 years old and never had anything on my record, I really don't want this felony charge, is there a possibility It can be dropped?

1. Colleen M. Glenn

Pro

15

Answered . It's always in your best interest to have representation, especially when dealing with a Felony offense. A felony conviction can have lifelong ramifications for you. It is unlikely that you would be convicted if it is your first offense however the tampering charge carries up to a five year jail sentence.
    www.colleenglenn.com

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

15

Answered . In my professional opinion, you have to retain a good criminal attorney without a doubt. Representing yourself pro se or dealing with any serious criminal charge without any legal knowledge would be as effective as pulling your teeth by yourself.

3. Amir A. Ladan

Pro

13

Answered . If you needed surgery, would you consider performing it yourself? Knowing you wouldn't, I think it's clear that you need a lawyer to handle your criminal defense. You could lose your liberty & your license, so hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney who practices in the county where your charges are pending should be your 1st priority.

4. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

12

Answered . You absolutely need to hire a criminal defense attorney immediately. My firm offers free consultations in these matters. Good luck.

5. Thomas Klemens Almquist

10

Answered . Yes, hire an attorney. Many firms, including mine, offer free consultations. There's a possibility it could be dropped, but if a lawyer tells you anything is 100% during a free consultation, they're lying.
    Feel free to give me a call: 378-5599
    I understand if you want to check with a few different attorneys before settling on one, too.

6. Cynthia Marie Veintemillas

10

Answered . A criminal defense attorney can investigate your case to see if there was a search or seizure violation. This could result in the judge granting the Defendant's motion to suppress and the evidence being thrown out. Every case is different, so it is important to talk to a lawyer about this. As for your record, you will want to seal or expunge it. If you do not take care of your case probably, you will not be able to do this. Click on the link below. I recently wrote an article about record sealing.