Marijuana charge, do I have a court case for this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Johnson City, TN

I was found with several friends and my roommate in our dorm with six grams of pot in a single container in our shared bathroom. We were both charged as neither of us admitted guilt. My roommate intends to plead guilty in court to the charge, and I am currently intending to plead not guilty. My question is, do I have a chance of beating the charge or should I just plead guilty? It would be my first offense outside of general traffic tickets.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eric M. Larsen


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Do not just plead guilty. If the marijuana did not belong to you and your roommate is taking responsibility, the DA should dismiss but likely will not unless you have an attorney present to fight the battle for you.

  2. Ben Hyder Houston II


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Do NOT plead guilty. Hire an attorney as soon as possible to help you defend against this charge. A conviction for simple possession is a class A misdemeanor that carries up to 11 months and 29 days in jail. Even if you don't end up serving jail time and are placed on probation after a plea of guilty, a conviction for this offense will stick with you the rest of your life.

    Additionally, if you are currently in school, and your University is made aware of this charge, you will likely have to deal with judicial affairs. You should hire an attorney to help you with that issue as well. If you would like to discuss your case with me, feel free to give me a call at (865) 546-0011.

  3. William Doak Patton

    Contributor Level 1

    Answered . Just pleading guilty will have lasting consequences. Find a lawyer that practices criminal law and discuss your options. The State of Tennessee has the burden of proving you guilty and you have rights. Find a lawyer that you believe will fight for you and protect your rights.

  4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Never consider pleading guity to anything until you fully and comprehensively discuss all available legal options and ramifications on your plea with a licensed criminal defense attorney in your area confdentially IN PERSON.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,537 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,537 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering