Skip to main content

Mall security was suspicious because my friend asked if payphone use is camera recorded?

Massapequa, NY |

My friend wanted to give anonymous tip to ICE as well as IRS ....since he wanted to give anonymous tip ....he choose to use pay phone at mall. And unfortunately he asked mall employee if that pay phone is recorded by security camera or not? He thought its his right to ask this question because of privacy law. But mall security people and security director started asking questions to him and wanted to see his documents etc. My friend refused to give those details. But explained the director with cool head that he wanted to call anonymous so he was making sure that he is not being recorded when he calls. But director called police and police asked all questions in presence of hundreds of people and check his documents and than let him go with sorry. Can mall be sued for this ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. No. The mall had a right to be suspicious given the question.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. No, in these times they can do what they did. You could theoritically sue anyone fir anything, but you will not win.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or