Mall security was suspicious because my friend asked if payphone use is camera recorded?

Asked 11 months ago - Massapequa, NY

My friend wanted to give anonymous tip to ICE as well as IRS ....since he wanted to give anonymous tip ....he choose to use pay phone at mall. And unfortunately he asked mall employee if that pay phone is recorded by security camera or not? He thought its his right to ask this question because of privacy law. But mall security people and security director started asking questions to him and wanted to see his documents etc. My friend refused to give those details. But explained the director with cool head that he wanted to call anonymous so he was making sure that he is not being recorded when he calls. But director called police and police asked all questions in presence of hundreds of people and check his documents and than let him go with sorry. Can mall be sued for this ?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . No. The mall had a right to be suspicious given the question.

Pro

2

Answered . no

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . No, in these times they can do what they did. You could theoritically sue anyone fir anything, but you will not win.