Major Differences in Attorney Hours for Summary Judgement

Glendale, CA |

I shopped around my case to several lawyers and all gave some estimates in costs and I noticed that the hourly costs were different but the actual "amount of hours" to do something was very different.

One lawyer said a summary judgement would take 30 hours and another said it would take 10 and another 15. Do I have to shop it around even more to get a more reliable picture?

This is a huge range difference.

1. A summary judgment motion in 10 hours? Extraordinary! Must be a very simple case with very few facts at issue.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. I believe the problem you are having is that it is apparent to each lawyer you talk with that you are "shopping around" so no lawyer is taking you or your case seriously. I assume your consultations have all been free of charge.

If so, you are being quoted unrealistic estimates because the lawyers are unwilling to give you the time it takes for a realistic estimate of the cost and of your chances of success.

IMO, you would be better served paying an experienced litigator to review your case and to give you a realistic cost estimate. If you did that you might be quoted a flat fee for the task you need as opposed to an unrealistic estimate. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. I think it is not possible for any attorney to predict or estimate the number of hours necessary to prepare a motion for summary judgment and the separate statement of undisputed material facts without an in-depth knowledge about the case and about the law covering the dispute.

Asking around for an estimate as to the number of hours required is really not a good way to estimate your bottom line cost. More experienced litigators don't need to spend as much time as a new admittee in preparing and in legal research, but their hourly rate will be much higher. You really should be asking about the merits of being able to prevail on an MSJ and then get an estimate on the total out-the-door fees and costs rather than comparing hour estimates.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

4. It is hard for any lawyer to give you a precise amount for a summary judgment or a response to a summary judgment. There is a lot of research that goes into a summary judgment which is a substantive motion. The amount of time in research could easily exceed thirty hours. I have spent on some summary judgments more than 100 hours between research and drafting the motion. Of course, it will depend on the issue and the complexity of the issue.