Major Differences in Attorney Hours for Summary Judgement

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, CA

I shopped around my case to several lawyers and all gave some estimates in costs and I noticed that the hourly costs were different but the actual "amount of hours" to do something was very different.

One lawyer said a summary judgement would take 30 hours and another said it would take 10 and another 15. Do I have to shop it around even more to get a more reliable picture?

This is a huge range difference.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

8

Answered . A summary judgment motion in 10 hours? Extraordinary! Must be a very simple case with very few facts at issue.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

8

Answered . I believe the problem you are having is that it is apparent to each lawyer you talk with that you are "shopping around" so no lawyer is taking you or your case seriously. I assume your consultations have all been free of charge.

If so, you are being quoted unrealistic estimates because the lawyers are unwilling to give you the time it takes for a realistic estimate of the cost and of your chances of success.

IMO, you would be better served paying an experienced litigator to review your case and to give you a realistic cost estimate. If you did that you might be quoted a flat fee for the task you need as opposed to an unrealistic estimate. Good luck.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

7

Answered . I think it is not possible for any attorney to predict or estimate the number of hours necessary to prepare a motion for summary judgment and the separate statement of undisputed material facts without an in-depth knowledge about the case and about the law covering the dispute.

Asking around for an estimate as to the number of hours required is really not a good way to estimate your bottom line cost. More experienced litigators don't need to spend as much time as a new admittee in preparing and in legal research, but their hourly rate will be much higher. You really should be asking about the merits of being able to prevail on an MSJ and then get an estimate on the total out-the-door fees and costs rather than comparing hour estimates.

4. Sagi Shaked

Pro

6

Answered . It is hard for any lawyer to give you a precise amount for a summary judgment or a response to a summary judgment. There is a lot of research that goes into a summary judgment which is a substantive motion. The amount of time in research could easily exceed thirty hours. I have spent on some summary judgments more than 100 hours between research and drafting the motion. Of course, it will depend on the issue and the complexity of the issue.