Maintenance and cohabitation

Asked 4 months ago - Newburgh, NY

is there a specified amount of time that constitutes cohabitation. In other words, does N.Y.S. designate the amount of time that a cohabitant can be with the supported spouse without spousal reduction or elimination?

1. David Zaslavsky

1

Answered . There is nothing in NY law regarding cahabitation. If your agreement does not specify this, it does not exist. There is a statute regarding either getting remarried, or hold oneself out as husband and wife, however, there is no time specified. It either is or is not.

Speak to an attorney to help you with this matter.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

Answered . I suggest you look to the separation agreement. If it isn't there, then it doesn't apply.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

1

Answered . No - indeed if your divorce agreement does not state otherwise, mere cohabitation is not a basis to terminate maintenance. Generally only actual remarriage results in such a termination. Schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Family Law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.