Mailed 3 moving violations from an angry off duty cop in his personal vehicle.

Jersey City, NJ |

I was on a main street in JC NJ. While I was in the left lane I noticed that a few cars were turning left and they started to back up the lane.I proceeded to change lanes to the open right lane.After changing lanes, the car in front of me decided to change too.I honked to keep him from hitting me and stopped at the red light after the intersection.The guy rolls his window down and begins to yell and say I cut him off. I noticed his PD patch and told him I didn't cut him off. He kept yelling so I rolled up my window. He follows me for about a mile while talking on his phone. Maybe looking up my plates. After a mile, he stops next to me again and says"5. I'm mailing you 5 tickets." I said, "For what?" He said "For the way you were driving"I got 3RECKLSS DRVG,TAILGAITING,UNSAFE LANE CH

Looked up the points online and clearly he is trying to get my license suspended. I also forgot to mention, my father is the registered owner of the car and he is in Florida. The cop cited him on the court date. Is there a way for me to change the tickets to be in my name to prevent my father from flying up for court since it was me who was driving the car? Not sure if this matters, but the cop never identified himself. He was driving his personal vehicle. I guess he was on his way to work or home. Until now, I have no clue which police department he works for.

I respectfully have to differ with my colleague, as you have said nothing that indicates the matters have been resolved in Court, or that you would otherwise need to file an appeal. These types of summonses are very serious under the NJ Motor Vehicle Code. Each Reckless Summons carries 5 points, and the cumulative value of these summonses alone would result in the suspension of your license. I strongly recommend that you immediately consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NJ, prior to appearing in Court, to discuss the alternatives of taking the case to trial. Good luck.

Disclaimer
While I do practice law in NJ, this information is offered for informational purposes only. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NJ before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.

You can file for an appeal and try to make out your case at the appeal. If the ticket means that much to you, you may want to speak to an attorney.

Attorney Jason Chan
77 Franklin Street, FL3
Boston, MA 02110
617-556-8220
website: www.attorneychan.com
blog: http://attorneychan.wordpress.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/AttorneyChan

disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Please be aware that this is for informational purposes only.

I'm not sure why Attorney Chan is discussing appeals - it sounds as though you have an open case and need to fight this with an experienced attorney that is actually licensed to practice in New Jersey.

If Mr. Bailey is anywhere in your area, I'd suggest you start with him. You're looking at substantial consequences from this situation.

For whatever reason it appears that this officer just didn't like what you did on the road, whether warranted or not. (I also do not know what Mr. Chan is talking about as it appears he practices in another State. At least we Jersey attorneys don't respond to Massachussetts matters).

If you are going to get a bunch of tickets like you have received all at once Jersey City is a good place to get them. I have found the Prosecutors in JC to be very reasonable. Assuming your driving record is uneventful it shouldn't be very difficult to persuade a reasonable prosecutor that the officer was having a bad day and you don't really deserve a boatload of points. Reckless is 5 points, Tailgating is 5 points and the lane change is 2. It won't all go away in a plea agreement but counsel should be able to avoid the large majority of the points. Assuming the officer even shows up, cooler heads should prevail.

Drive Safe!