MADE A WILL IN THE EIGHTIES AND CAN NOT FIND IT

Flushing, NY |

THE ATTORNEY AT THAT TIME WAS EDWARD LONGO ESQ. 2941 FULTON STREET BROOKLYN NEW YORK 11207 .HE IS DECEASED AND THE OFFICE TODAY IS A GROCERY HOW DO I FIND HIS RECORDS OF WILLS ETC. HOW DO I FIND WHO TOOK OVER HIS PRACTICE

Given the fact that you made the Will in the 1980s, I'd strongly urge you to hire an attorney to update your estate planning (even if you find the old document). The odds are that something has changed -- be it your beneficiaries, Executors, etc. -- and the new Will can make sure that your wishes are accurately followed after your passing. In addition to an updated Will, you should talk with an attorney about preparing a Power of Attorney and Health Care Proxy to take care of financial and health care decisions if you become incapacitated prior to your death. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

2. Hi,

If you possessed the original copy of the will and misplaced it, then a copy from your attorney will not be sufficient when your heirs try and probate it. You must redo your will as soon as possible. Wills attorneys may be found via the Avvo search functions.

Sincerely yours,
    Pinni Bohm, Esq.
    (212) 920-5224

I am only licensed to practice law in New York, so this is just general educational information. You will need to contact a local attorney to attain information that pertains to your specific circumstances. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

3. You should just hire an attorney and have the Will redone. In that Will, you will revoke all prior Wills.

4. I suggest that you hire an attorney to make a new will. This will save you time and money down the road

5. My colleagues have all given you good advice. Wills are very basic estate planning tools and creating a new Will should be very inexpensive. At this point, you want to make sure that a Will is the best planning tool for your objectives. There may be other options available to you that would allow you to avoid probate, for example. (A Will does not do this.) You also need to have a POA in place, in case you become incapacitated. Make sure that when you get your new documents drawn up, that YOU get to hold onto the original documents.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics