Made a verbal agreement with homeowner to purchase his home.

Asked over 1 year ago - Oneonta, AL

We were waiting for an answer from the bank on approval of sale on our current home. He gave us until Friday the following week to give him an answer. After contacting the bank and receiving approval of sale on our house, we contacted the seller at which time he told us he was selling it to someone else. Now our house is three weeks from closing and we have no house to buy. At the time the agreement was made, the seller, me and my husband, and my mother were all present and understood the terms of this verbal agreement. Now after contacting him, he is trying to act like we never gave him an answer but really someone offered him more money after he made the agreement with us and backed out on his word and the agreement we made. Do we have any legal rights?

1. Pamela Koslyn

7

Answered . No. There are some contracts that MUST be in writing due to a law every state has called "the statute of frauds." That law exists because some contracts are very important, and buying real estate is one of those kinds of contracts.

Oral real estate contracts aren't enforceable, nor are they a good idea. This is one of the biggest purchases anyone ever does, and they're very complex transactions, so it's foolish not to get it all in writing.

2. Randy William Ferguson

4

Answered . You should not be buying a house, the biggest investment you will ever make, without a written contract. A judge or jury has no clue who is telling the truth when nothing is written. You technically can have a verbal contract, but it may be very expensive and time consuming to win it. I would recommend buying a different house and avoiding the stress and costs.

3. Lois R Beasley-Carlisle

Pro

3

Answered . If it was verbal and never reduced to a writing you are out of luck.

4. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

2

Answered . The statute of frauds refers to the requirement that certain kinds of contracts be memorialized in a signed writing with sufficient content to evidence the contract.

Traditionally, the statute of frauds requires a signed writing in the following circumstances:
    Contracts in consideration of marriage. This provision covers prenuptial agreements.
    Contracts that cannot be performed within one year. However, contracts of indefinite duration do not fall under the statute of frauds regardless of how long the performance actually takes.
    Contracts for the transfer of an interest in land. This applies not only to a contract to sell land but also to any other contract in which land or an interest in it is disposed, such as the grant of a mortgage or an easement.
    Contracts by the executor of a will to pay a debt of the estate with his own money.
    Contracts for the sale of goods involving a purchase price of $500 ($50 in Alberta, Canada) or more (proposed Amended UCC ยง 2-201(1) requires a writing for contracts for the sale of goods of a price of $5000 or more).
    Contracts in which one party becomes a surety (acts as guarantor) for another party's debt or other obligation.

This can be remembered by the mnemonic "MY LEGS": Marriage, contracts for more than one Year, Land, Executor (or Estate), Goods ($500 or more), Surety; or Marriage, one Year, Land, Executor (or Estate), Guarantor, Sale.