Macy's theft?

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

Cashier about 5 months ago altered price tag on a piece of clothing that was $120 and got it for $60 and was fired for doing it for someone else recently, will the store come after the shopper for a one event?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

5

Answered . No one can predict if the store will come after the shopper however they have the right to go after the shopper and/or get the police involved. It is entirely in their discretion.

2. Benjamin J Lieberman

2

Answered . Not likely

3. Richard C. Southard

Pro

1

Answered . The Statute of Limitations for Petit Larceny which this falls under is two years, so legally they can still prosecute. The more time passes, the less likely they will; the theory being, they would have done so already if they had wanted to.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.