Macy's theft?

New York, NY |

Cashier about 5 months ago altered price tag on a piece of clothing that was $120 and got it for $60 and was fired for doing it for someone else recently, will the store come after the shopper for a one event?

No one can predict if the store will come after the shopper however they have the right to go after the shopper and/or get the police involved. It is entirely in their discretion.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Not likely

The Statute of Limitations for Petit Larceny which this falls under is two years, so legally they can still prosecute. The more time passes, the less likely they will; the theory being, they would have done so already if they had wanted to.

Richard Southard
212-385-8600
I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com