Lying on an address while submitting residence paperwork have major consecuences?

Littleton, CO |

I am applying for the residence of my parents. While filling the paperwork there is a questions that asks for the current address of one of my brothers; he is ilegal in the US, so he is afraid to put his US address and he asked to put a Mexican address, but i do not know if this will have consequences on the approval of my parents residence status.

1. you should always be truthful on any and all immigration forms

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

2. Rule #1: don't lie to the government--they aren't very forgiving. The fact that your brother is in the US should not impact your parents' case. Putting an incorrect address on the form will not change the fact that your brother is unlawfully in the U.S.

You might consider consulting with an immigration attorney to make sure there are no other issues, and/or to see what can be done about your brother's case.

This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information about immigration law and policy, please visit www.lichterimmigration.com or follow us on twitter (@lauralichter) or facebook, www.facebook/lichterimmigration. To find an immigration lawyer in your area, log on to www.ailalawyer.com. Listed attorneys have been members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the nation's premier bar association for immigration lawyers, for at least two years, comply with annual continuing legal education (CLE) requirements and carry malpractice insurance.

3. My colleages are correct. The signature section has a certification component with a penality of perjury. Also, when attempting to petition or file any other application. Thus, any falsehood can harm the beneficiary, the petitioner, and even the person to whom the lie concerns.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

4. Yes, the government can deny benefit if finds out about false information on application. As a practical matter it is not a secret that there are many folks in US without documentation however the government does not have policies or even resources to track everyone down unless there are some compelling grounds for it like arrest warrants or fugitive warrants. good luck

5. Lying to the government is always a bad idea. In the immigration context, it can result is charges of fraud and deportation.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.