Lvnv funding won a judgement against me for 2,000 in 2008. im disabled still,a new lawyer threatens to sue,can they?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oregon, OH

should i write them a letter to dispute this claim,as that company already took me to court, in my answe to court than, i explained and to that company, i was permantly disabled

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

3

Answered . Well, here is an empty threat. If LVNV "won a judgment" they already sued you. Most likely you are "collection-proof" and the new lawyer is using the treat to try to get voluntary payments since they are powerless to coerce payment.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Susanne Ruiz Rodriguez

3

Answered . You can only be sued for the same debt once so it's an empty threat. If you are on Social Security disability the creditor cannot take your disability payments. If you have equity in a house or own a car outright, you might want to talk to a local bankruptcy attorney to see if you need a bankruptcy to protect any assets other than your disability.

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the other 2 attorneys, they cannot sue twice. If you only have SS Disability in your bank account, they cannot garnish since SS benefits are protected. If you put other money in your bank account, such as pension, IRA distributions, interest & dividends, they CAN garnish that. Good luck.