Lost wages and punitive damages against an assailant?

Hartford, CT |

Hello, I recently had someone assault me. He hit me 4 times in the left eye. I did not hit back nor threaten him. He was charged with 3rd degree assault and breach of peace. I was out of work for 3 days (the last day of which was at the hospital getitng a MRI to check my head). Can I go after this person for lost wages and medical bills? Also, can I go after this person for "punitive damages"? I am in CT, I don't know if such a thing as 'punitive damages' exists in CT.

What type of proof would I be required to show the court? I would like to keep my employer out of the situation and unaware of what happened if possible. I understand I am dealing with civil litigation and small claims court.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

The best advice is to tell you that you should speak with a personal injury attorney in your area so as to assess your options. Generally, the answer is yes, you may file a civil lawsuit against the person for assault and battery and aks for compensation for the damages you have sustained.

I hope this helps-

Nima Taradji
http://personalinjuryattorneyz.com

Disclaimer: I am a lawyer licensed in the State of Illinois only, and I am not your lawyer (unless you have been in my office and signed a contract). This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice. This is for informational purposes only.

Hi, we are Connecticut personal injury attorneys. You can definitely recover Medicaid and lost wages. Punitive damages do exist in this state, however, it is unlikely you can get them as the threshold for such damages is very high. However with further information, anything is possible. Feel free to contact us for consultation. 203.870.6700

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury