Lost my old passport i had for my first 3 years of having my green card and don't remember the days i traveled ! US citizenship

San Francisco, CA |

I've been a green card holder for almost 5 years and im about to apply for my US citizenship but i lost the passport that i had for my first 3 years of being a green card holder , and i don't remember the exact dates that i traveled outside the country in those years but i know for sure that it was never more than 6 months every trip , how am i gonna do with my application when it says to enter the dates of when i traveled ? ? is it going to be a problem ? can they verify their self ? please help !

You may put estimated dates and give an explanation at the interview.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

they wont ask for proof?? i dont have any! i didnt even saved my flight tickets or boarding passes, will they be able to check theirself and verify the lenght of time i stayed out the country??

Gintare Grigaite

Gintare Grigaite

Yes, pretty much, if you traveled, you will be in the system. If you lost your passport, you lost it, there is nothing you can do about it, so you must be truthful and answer the questions to the best of your ability. If you submitted a full copy of your passport for your green card application, then you may request your file from immigration via FOIA, which is Form G-639, but that may take a long time until you receive a response. What I recommend is that you have an experienced immigration attorney to help you with this process, if you do not have one yet.

Write the approximate dates and put an asterisk to it stating dates are an approximation due to loss of passport. Be prepared to provide some evidence towards travel in the form of airline tickets, etc.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

If you lost the passport, did you file a police report? Do you have any proof it was lost? You will have to try to reconstruct the trips and present evidence in the form of tickets or other evidence. You should always seek assistance of a good immigration attorney before filing with CIS. Yes they can check and there may be some record of your entries or departures into /out of the US. You can do Freedom of Information Act requests with various federal agencies, which I a good attorney can assist you with. Do a FOIA esp with Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Below is the link to search for AILA attorney.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent immigration attorney preferably one who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

no i didnt file a police report, its somewhere lost in mexico in the house i used to live when i was little. i didnt save either my flight tickets! i dont have any evidence that can prove the exact dates.. how do i do? thank you very much for your help

Simply state the dates you can recall to the best of your recollection and explain that it is a guesstimate as you lost your passport.

they wont ask for proof?? i dont have any! i didnt even save my flight tickets or boarding passes, will they be able to check theirself and verify the lenght of time i stayed out the country??

You must put your best approximation of the dates you travelled and explain that you lost the passport. If you have copies of your itineraries that should help you with the dates.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104