Skip to main content

Losing my green card for a Marijuana misdemeanor?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Hi, I had my medical marijuana prescription till DEC.2009.
I had less than gram in my car on March/2010 but my medical card was expired. I got ticket (2322B). I am a California resident with green card. Am I going to lose my green card because of a misdemeanor? What should I do?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Any drug offense, even a low level marijuana one has potential immigration consequences. Because of your situation, it's worth it to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area to represent you and see if there is an alternative to a conviction they can work out - a diversion program, deferred entry of judgment, etc.

  2. Because the immigration issue is federal, you want to be careful. Feds don't recognize CA med mj immunity. Get a new card. Take it to your arraignment. You may be able to get the charge dismissed.

    Edward J. Blum
    (213) 479-5322

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics