Looking to be compensated severance and medical benefits for short term period.

Saugerties, NY |

I have recently been let go of my sales position with no warning. I live in NY which is an at will state, but feel that I was blindsided by my manager after doing follow up visits with potential customers. We had just lost a large acct in my territory and I was told that there wasn't enough business to keep me on. I followed up with him the next day at which time he also explained to me that he felt that my day was not planned out well enough for him, mind you I buried my grandmother the day before. I am the sole provider right now as my wife is a full time student and we have a special needs child. I am looking to have them compensate me for 60 days plus carry my medical benefits for 90 days. Is this fair? They also did not follow their employee manual regarding termination procedure.

Unless the employee manual provides for it, or you have a contract that provides for it, you need to negotiate for any severance benefits. You would need to consult with an employment lawyer for advice with how to do that.

Based on what you have provided here, I do not see a viable legal claim. I am sorry.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

You don't appear to have any facts providing you with leverage. Seek out a labor law attorney who will review things with you in detail.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business