Looking to be compensated severance and medical benefits for short term period.

Asked over 1 year ago - Saugerties, NY

I have recently been let go of my sales position with no warning. I live in NY which is an at will state, but feel that I was blindsided by my manager after doing follow up visits with potential customers. We had just lost a large acct in my territory and I was told that there wasn't enough business to keep me on. I followed up with him the next day at which time he also explained to me that he felt that my day was not planned out well enough for him, mind you I buried my grandmother the day before. I am the sole provider right now as my wife is a full time student and we have a special needs child. I am looking to have them compensate me for 60 days plus carry my medical benefits for 90 days. Is this fair? They also did not follow their employee manual regarding termination procedure.

1. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

1

Answered . Unless the employee manual provides for it, or you have a contract that provides for it, you need to negotiate for any severance benefits. You would need to consult with an employment lawyer for advice with how to do that.

2. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . Based on what you have provided here, I do not see a viable legal claim. I am sorry.

3. Marco Caviglia

Pro

Answered . You don't appear to have any facts providing you with leverage. Seek out a labor law attorney who will review things with you in detail.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now