Looking for an Criminal Attorney to help with a federal case in 400 E 9th St Kansas City, MO 64106.

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

The defendant is my brother . He is charged with : Count : 1 Citation : 18 : 371 . F Offense Level : 4 CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD THE UNITED STATES Count : 5 - 7 Citation : 18 : 1029A . F Offense Level : 4 PRODUCES / TRAFFICS IN COUNTERFEIT DEVICE Count : 8 - 10 Citation : 18 : 1028A . F Offense Level : 4 FRAUD WITH IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS We live in Los Angeles CA . And it would be hard to travel back and forth in search of an Attorney . Would it be possible to hire an Attorney without traveling to Kansas City , MO ? ? ? Also , I would prefer to hire an Attorney with lots of experience in this court house with these kinds of charges I have some case documents that I can email if needed .

1. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

1

Answered . You can certainly hire an attorney without meeting him face to face, although it is not preferable. It is not uncommon to have relatives from many states away hiring counsel for the defendant. I agree you definately want to hire someone both with a lot of experience in federal criminal defense as well as experience in this particular courthouse. Many of the attorneys who practice federal criminal defense in the Kansas City Metro area practice regularly in both Kansas City Kansas and Kansas City Missouri. Those two courthouses are about six or seven miles apart. Many of us in this region will be happy to discuss the matter over the telephone with you. Federal criminal cases are very complicated and the deck is stacked heavily against defendants. The system is designed to force people to plead guilty and to testify against one another. Defending a client in federal court takes a strong attorney who is not afraid to mix it up with the prosecution. Unfortunately the federal sentencing guidelines are simply appalling in their length and willingness to use questionable information as a ground to lengthen a man's sentence. Contact a local attorney immediately.

2. Stephen D Aarons

1

Answered . We do see out of state lawyers in federal court, but a local lawyer with lots of experience in that courthouse will be more familiar with the nuances of practice there, the personality of the prosecutor and judge and Pretrial services staff. That is far more important than meeting him face to face.

3. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

1

1

Answered . Your retaining an attorney who is experienced in the area of federal criminal defense and with handling those type of charges is much more important than hiring an attorney who is experienced in a particular courthouse, and it is not uncommon to retain an attorney without physically meeting with him or her.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

4. Paul Domenic Petruzzi

Pro

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer in LA to look into the possibility of a Rule 20 transfer.

This is not intended as legal advice.