Skip to main content

Looking for a lawyer that can handle child support/ custody when the parents live in 2 different states. Ohio and pa.

Pittsburgh, PA |

Father pays a ridiculous amount in support to a mother who is not complying with custody order.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Support and custody are totally separate and need to addressed accordingly. If there are violations of the custody agreement then it may be appropriate to file contempt in custody. However, violations if a custody agreement will not affect the support amount,


Support will be addressed in the state where the payor lives and custody will be addressed in the state in which the child resides. In Pennsylvania, the two issues are handled independently of each other. Domestic relations section handles support cases and the outcome is primarily based on application of a formula set forth in the PA Support Guidelines to determine support based on the parties respective incomes and how many overnights each parent is spending with the children on an annual basis. Custody is handled by first attending a conference and then, if no agreement is reached at the conference, by making your case at a hearing at which time the factors set forth in the Custody Act are applied. I am only licensed in PA so I do not know the procedure in Ohio.

The above answer is intended solely for general informational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding all of the details of your particular situation before taking action.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer