Looking for a Child Support Lawyer

Asked 6 months ago - Hobart, IN

I'm a low income single mother of a 6 yr old and 18 month old. I need a childsupport lawyer that is not too expensive. Been separated from my boyfriend for a year and a half. He lives in Chicago but his address is unknown. I have his phone # and SS #. I contacted him for help yesterday and he threatened me. I found out he has been married for the last 13 yrs and pays childsupport to his wife through the Illinois childsupport system.
Any lawyer that is not too expensive and has monthly payment and wants to represent me comment. I live in Hobart Indiana.

1. Katherine Elizabeth Flood

Pro

1

Answered . Have you tried contacting the Prosecutor's office? Usually they have a child support division that will help you establish support for a very low one-time fee, like $25. That would be a good place to start. If that doesn't help, then call the Bar Association in your county and ask about pro bono lawyers.

Good luck!

Kate Flood
    Indianapolis divorce attorney

2. Brooks James Grainger

Answered . Absolutely call the prosecutors office immediately. They will help you obtain an order of child support and enforce it. They charge a one time fee I think of $30. Best money you will ever spend.

Because of that program you are not going to find many lawyers who will take your case on a reduced fee. However call the local bar association and they will be able to give you a referral to a local legal aid clinic.

Also since you are in that area call Valpo Law School. They have a legal aid clinic as well.