Looking for a criminal defense lawyer.

Dallas, TX |

I m looking to hire a lawyer, to help me remove a deferred disposition off my record. The charge was for minor assault, there was no arrest and i have no prior convictions

Most attorneys, like myself, offer consultations at no charge. From your post, it sounds like expunction is very possible, but a phone or in person consult would be necessary.

Todd Steele's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Todd Bennett Steele

Todd Bennett Steele

I re-read your post. If you received deferred adjudication you could maybe get an order of non-disclosure. If you received pre trial diversion, then you could get an expunction.

as far as i m concerned ( i never showed up in court) from what my former lawyer said it waas a deffer offer for 180 days. The problem with non-disclosure , i assume -is that every state or federal government agency would be able to access it if they run a background, am I right? Also - I called almost 20 law firms this morning , and no one gave me an answer, ans is something that seem real simple to me. And thanks, I appreciate your advices.

How to find a criminal defense lawyer is a really important question, and one that is rarely asked on avvo.

First, understand that most criminal defense lawyers do not charge for the first visit with a prospective client. Some do, so ask when you call for an appointment.

Who should you call? How do you get names? One way is to make a few appointments and at the end of the appointment ask the lawyer whom he or she would suggest if you do not hire the lawyer you're visiting with.

Another is avvo. On avvo, you will see ratings for lawyers. You will also may see endorsements of lawyers by other lawyers. You can get a pretty good idea who is a "big dog" and who is not.

The phone book is still a pretty good place to start. Most lawyer ads list what areas the lawyer handles.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

You may be able to have the case sealed if it was not a family violence case. If it was a class C, you can expunge it completely. Feel free to call my office if you want me to look into it. 214-365-9800.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Thanks for responding ,lady, It is class C misdemeanor, and i called ur office today (March/25) , u werent there,a and ur secretary wasnt very competent in answering my questions. ( i m studying pre-law too, so no offense, but she really had a very slight idea about my concerns) Bottom line is I want this expunged, because i am eligible and fit in all criteria, ( non-disclosure is NOT an option for me, because , it s regarding a State government job ), but she said u cant help untill, the deferred action period is over - but the problem is that it s not over yet , because of some kind of a mistake - the 180 that i agreed upon , passed over a month ago, but for whatever reason , the charge is scheduled for dis-mission in 3 weeks, and I had to hire a lawyer to fix that first ( she told me , you odnt deal with stuff like that) , before filing for expunging....otherwise the quoted price for expunging with you was very reasonable, and your ratting here is very good, and would ve hired you, on the spot, over the phone....

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Actually, she is extremely competent. She explained to me your situation when I got back from court. She told me that you have a problem that needs to be corrected with the underlying class C and that she explained to you that I do not handle class C cases. (I could, but it would be for a ridiculous price.) I refer all class C matters to Lewis and Wilton. Give them a call at 214-634-7411. They can straighten it out for you and I'm sure even handle your expunction.

mmm yeah, NO she sounded so LOST (almost retarded) when she was making attempts to give advices. But yes - she did say that you dont handle citations, plus I already have a lawyer hired, so it is all good.

In Texas, if the assault involved a family member and was dismissed via completion of deferred adjudication you will never be able to remove it from your record, even if it was dropped to a class c misdemeanor. However if it was just a simple assault dismissed thru sucessful completion of deferred adjudication you are able to hide the public record by filing a certificate of non-disclosure.