Locked me out of property for over 2 years. I was expected to pay for said property. Credit score ruined,my rights?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mesa, AZ

Foreclosure sale date Oct 2008, was partially moved out. House was up for short sale. They locked me out and declined the offer on the house. 2 years later get a call from a realtor saying someone wants to purchase the property. I was not aware I still owned it. Bank took the offer for purchase. Property was sold. Bank still posted my account as not paid for the 2 plus years they had the property. This has made my credit score be lowed by a lot.. Not to mention I can not get a new mortgage till 3 years after the short sale was recorded. Even thought I have been out of the property for 5 years. I am wondering if I have any rights to remove the credit hit and if it was against the law to lock me out of the house and hold me responsible for over 2 years with no access to property.

1. Douglas Garth Edmunds

1

Answered . Typically the bank does not go to the property and change the locks (lock you out) unless they have been by and see that the property has been abandoned. It it appears to have been abandoned, then they will do this. Even after that happens, you can still go back into the house if you want, until the foreclosure sale actually happens.

The bank CAN postpone the sale for years, as they appear to have done in your case, and continue to report the delinquency on your credit. Honestly, aside from the question of whether or not the "lock-out" was appropriate, everything else they have done appears to be perfectly legal. Not ethical, but legal. You should also look into whether or not there was an HOA ... if there was, you may have a giant HOA bill out there too as those obligations remain yours until the foreclosure is done.