Loca parentis... where can I find the statutes pertaining to such information, as to whether my ex's step father is in standing.

Murrysville, PA |

My ex an I had 50/50 custody until recently, because they pushed this. Now that he signed over primary custody to me, his mother is going in under grandparents rights... and his step father is trying to get loco parentis. I need as much information as possible to see what the requirements are and how to fight this. Both my ex an I are pro se. Thank you so very much.

look up loca parentis Penssylvania and you should get the answers

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

First, it is "In Loco Parentis", and there is no actual statute. You will need to look at case law, since the idea of "in loco parentis" is a legal theory, upheld by case law. Grandparent standing is governed by 23 Pa.C.S.A. §5324 and 5325. My suggestion? Get a lawyer.

Second, the step father likely would not need "in loco parentis" standing since he is a grandparent. Blood related or not, he is in the same position as would be the actual paternal grandfather. If, however, the father's parents were divorced, that may change my answer.

my ex was adopted, however we have never saw the paperwork. but his "parents" were not married at the time of the adoption and there are no grandparent rights for step grandparents. thus they said he would and he has applie to intervene as in loco parentis. i have a hearing 845.... and was never even served the paperwork. i know about it because my ex and i are in allis and not enemies as to

wanted them to see her because they are two faced selfish people who have helped wage the war and we are trying tk end it.

Steven R. Koense

Steven R. Koense

The "adoption" issue is irrelevant. Step Grandparents share the same legal status as biological grandparents. Again, this is established by case law. So, "in loco parentis" is more akin to an aunt or uncle who has stepped in and acted is a parent - i.e. in loco parentis.

do u know the case law off hand by chance

Steven R. Koense

Steven R. Koense

Sorry. I do not.

Here's the link to the statutory law. You'll have to search the internet for the case law or, as Mr. Koense suggested, retain an experienced family law attorney to do it for you.

Be sure to click Best Answer if you found this helpful. Disclaimer: Please note that this response does not in any way an attorney-client relationship between Kathryn L. Hilbush and the recipient. My responses are general in nature. They do not constitute legal advice. You are advised to consult an attorney regarding this and any other legal matters.