Living Trust Disbursment

Jacksonville, FL |

My parents set up a revocable living trust. My father died and mother is senile. I am named as the sucessor trustee after her, but under the section 'specific disbursements' it says that upon his death I am to receive some stocks. These were never actually in the trust even back when it was created (2005). Since his death, it (the stocks) has made its way through probate into his 'estate'. Am I entitled to receive the stocks now? My siblings think not, but that the trust should own them now. but that was clearly never his intention.....

1. You need to have the documents reviewed by a competent attorney. The items not in the trust probably are not part of the trust by virtue of the actions of the settlor before his death, but the only way to be sure is to have someone review all the paperwork.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices. Bstein@dcfsz.com, 305 377 1505

2. I am not admitted to practice in Florida, and you should consider hiring an experienced trusts and estates attorney to assist you. Most people with revocable living trusts have what are called
    "pour-over wills" to accompany them, and the effect of such a will is that any property that was not titled in the trust at the time of death is "poured over" into the trust by way of the will. In other words, the will says something to the effect that "I give all of my property to the trustee of my trust to administer according to the terms of the trust" and then the trustee distributes the property according to what the trust says. If the trust says that you are to receive the stocks on your father's death, even if your mother is still alive, then when the trustee receives the stocks by way of the will, as part of the probate process, the next step would be to transfer the stocks to you, pursuant to the terms of the trust.

It will be very important to consult with an attorney to help you understand the meaning and effect of the trust, the will, and the probate process.

This general response is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with the other guys that you need your own attorney, but if the stocks that are now in the trust are the same stocks that were referred to in the trust (and there could be a lot of disagreement on that question), I vote that they're yours. Remember - that's free advice and worth what you paid for it!

4. The other attorneys have provided you with very solid advice. I would highly advise you to promptly consult an estate planning attorney in the Jacksonville area. Best of Luck.

FOR A FREE 20 MINUTE INITIAL TELEPHONE CONSULTATION CALL 904-309-8461 NOTHING IN THIS ANSWER IS INTENDED TO CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP NOR SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A SUBSTITUTE FOR AN IN PERSON CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY/THIS ANSWER IS NOT INTENDED TO BE TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE, ALL PARTIES POSTING QUESTIONS ARE HIGHLY ADVISED TO IMMEDIATELY SEEK COUNSEL TO REMEDY THEIR LEGAL PROBLEMS