Living on a month to month rental I've been given a 60 day notice to vacate, do I still need to pay rent needing money to move

Asked about 1 year ago - Whittier, CA

I'm being ask to move because of familiar status, they said that 2 adults and a 7yr can not live in a one bedroom apartment yet others in the building do, child makes to much noise during the day yet other people make as much

1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

3

Answered . Yes, you do need to pay rent for the time that you are there, unless the landlord agrees otherwise.
    I disagree that 2 adults and a child cannot live in a one bedroom apartment. There is a general rule that allows for two people per bedroom, plus one additional person. If you have a one bedroom unit, then three people can live there. However, if you have a lease, it might have some restrictions.
    It is possible that your landlord's eviction is discriminatory.
    You should contact a landlord tenant attorney in your area for a consultation.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . Yes, you still need to pay rent for the entire 60 day period. If you wish to terminate the tenancy earlier, you can serve the landlord with a 30 day notice of termination. If you do not pay rent, the landlord can serve you with a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit, and/or deduct unpaid rent from your security deposit.

The landlord cannot discriminate against families with young children. If you wish to challenge the eviction, you're going to need a tenant attorney to represent you.