Live-scan and background check

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Terrace, CA

I applied for a job with a government-funded, non-profit organization and got the job. When I filled out their paperwork which asked the question "have you ever been convicted of a crime [even if it was later dismissed]" I checked NO. Well, 4 years ago I was convicted of a few misdemeanors and everything was dismissed. I asked my attorney and he told me to put NO. Now the company wants to fingerprint and do a live scan. I'm terrified. What is going to happen???

1. David Gary Jones

3

Answered . You will likely be terminated.

It is unlikely that you will face any criminal charges unless you violated the terms of your conviction sentencing.

Please check the law of your state
  2. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . I agree that you will likely be terminated. It is also likely that your employer will object to any claim for unemployment benefits on the grounds that your termination is based on dishonesty in your statements to your employer, not for the fact of the prior convictions. Is the lawyer who told you to answer "no" willing to come forward and attempt to intercede with your employer? That would not necessarily be effective work in court or in a state administrative hearing, but it might be persuasive to a private employer. There is no downside for the attorney, so it's worth asking.

3. Neil Pedersen

1

Answered . Your post is somewhat ambiguous where you say that you were convicted of a few misdemeanors and everything was dismissed. If meant to say that you were charged with a few misdemeanors but those charges were dismissed without a conviction, then the answer to your question is very different than if you were convicted of those crimes as part of some deal where you agreed to pay some fines or engage in some restitution or the like.

If you were arrested but never convicted, then you did not make a false statement and you have nothing to worry about. In fact, except for certain government security jobs, the employer cannot even ask you about arrests that did not result in convictions.

If you were convicted (i.e., a plea bargain or a trial with a judgment against you) then you have made an untrue statement and you can be terminated for doing so.

Good luck to you.

4. Timothy John Broussard

1

Answered . When they finger print you and run the DOJ report an error is going to come up and your employer will likely find out about it of a possible record. I assuem your taling to your attorney and follow their instructions. Howver, it might be best to come clean on the misdemeanors, but be ready to be dismissed as a candidate. DOJ clearance is likely required for employment anyways. So, based on the crime, you would not have been hired regardless if disclosed. I don't see anyting criminal about the disclosure issue as it could be a mistaken and I not see that any crime took place in the application process.

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.