Live in CA got a DUI in KS, didn't show up to court now have a Warrant i

Asked about 2 years ago - Victorville, CA

I live in CA and was on a work related trip in KS. I was pulled over and arrested for DUI in KS. This is the first offense in any state. I was unable to make the hearing because I had to work, and am the sole income provider for my family and now there is an arrest warrant in KS for me. I live 1300 miles away and driving is my only option since I can not afford to fly (the company I work paid for the flight during the work related trip) back into KS. I have someone that can drive me out there, but it is a 2 day trip one way. If I get back to KS will they throw me in Jail? if not then can I handle my fines and anything else in a day?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Aaron Reuben Bortel


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The first thing you need to do is consult with a DUI attorney in Kansas. Try the National College for DUI Defense web site to find a DUI attorney who practices in the county of your arrest. You want to get on this asap as any license suspension in Kansas may trigger a suspension of your driving privilege in CA. The Kansas DUI attorney can let you know if you will be needed in court to recall the warrant. If you get lucky, it's a court where the attorney can get the warrant recalled without you showing up, and possibly that attorney can handle the entire case without a return trip on your part.

    Good Luck

  2. Jon William Woolsey


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should post this question on AVVO's DUI Kansas forum. Most of us here do not know how this might be handled in their jurisdiction. Here, an attorney could clear the warrant and deal with the case without you having to be present...KS may well be another story altogether.

  3. Robert Jonathan Lee

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The longer you go without addressing this the greater the risk you run of getting pulled over/picked up. That will not bode well for an agreeable final disposition as far as you are concerned.

    Contact a Kansas attorney and have him or her (1) negotiate with the State a surrender date (2) explain exactly why you were originally unable to attend and (3) discuss with you the norms of the Kansas judiciary system.

    Please be advised that nothing in this posting is meant to supplement the advice of an attorney and The Law Office... more

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Dealing with a DUI arrest

A DUI arrest must be based on probable cause: the officer must have enough evidence to arrest, as determined by a combination of factors.

William C. Head

The Most Common Types of DUI-DWI

Police officers utilize two primary ways to charge you with “drunk” driving. These are “impaired driving” and “driving with an unlawful blood alcohol level” or “per se” DUI-DWI. These two... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,261 answers this week

3,116 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,261 answers this week

3,116 attorneys answering