Skip to main content

Litigation against Starbucks

Mansfield, TX |

I went to Starbucks and purchased coffee for myself and my husband. The employee handed me the cup of coffee and as I grabbed it I noticed that the cup felt wierd... as I bring the cup into the car to set it in the drink holder the lid comes all the way off and hot coffee causes 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my hand, thigh and stomach. I have been to the doctor twice and have permanent scarring on my stomach and thigh. Starbucks wants to speak to me regarding resolution of the matter..... I dont know how to proceed and what to ask for. In addition, Starbucks has admitted liability, they told me the employee admitted the lid was not secure on the cup and the manager told me that they have had many issues with the holiday cups sealing properly.

Attorney Answers 10

  1. Your injuries are far too severe for you to try and handle this on your own. Starbucks may want you to think that they are going to be fair, but you must not trust them. DO NOT TALK TO THEN OR GIVE THEM A STATEMENT until you talk to an attorney. They will use what you say against you later. They know all the tricks and you don't. See an attorney who is a board certified personal injury specialist. You will be able to have a free first appointment. Look at my profile on AVVO if you do not know someone to talk to .

    This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

  2. Contact a local injury lawyer asap, and dont talk to Starbucks. They are not going to be generous.

  3. Contact a local and qualified personal injury litigation attorney. Stop speaking with Starbucks. Keep the cup and lid. This is the first time I've heard a company admit there fault. Although not binding, perhaps you have them on tape.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  4. Sounds like the famous McDonald's case. Retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate a claim against them.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  5. There is no harm in asking them for an offer on your case, however, there is almost no question that they will lowball you and you will get a better recovery if you hire an attorney. Unfortunately, insurance companies will always take advantage of folks who are unrepresented and have a lawyer. Find a good personal injury attorney in your area to make sure you get a reasonable recovery and do not get taken advantage of.

  6. You have significant injuries and a substantial injury claim. As with any valuable asset, you need an expert professional to make sure that you maximize the return to you. I suggest calling a good Texas personal injury attorney.

    Good luck.

  7. The most important thing at this point is to make sure that you have preserved the evidence, i.e., that you still have possession of the coffee cup and lid. It is very important that you speak with a well qualified injury attorney who is experienced in analyzing both the liability issues involved with the lid (possible gross negligence due to previous knowledge of the dangerous condition) and the damages issues (costs of future medical care, disfigurement and impairment analysis, loss of wage earning capacity). These cases are not as simple and straightforward as they appear, especially if you want to recover the full measure of damages for your injuries.

  8. I would contact a local injury attorney.


  9. you need to call a personal injury attorney ASAP!! Don't let this huge corporation take advantage of you.

    All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or final legal advice. It is always best to consult a lawyer in your area on your exact case/claim. Each state has different laws, statutes of limitations and regulations. This lawyer is only licensed in the State of Texas. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of GREGG S. HARRISON, PLLC, nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Office of GREGG S. HARRISON PLLC. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. GREGG HARRISON. Visit our website at or call 832-797-7600 to discuss your legal issue; We represent injured persons who have been involved in motor vehicle collisions, 18-wheeler/truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents; all types of general negligence and catastrophic injury claims.

  10. Call my office I'd be happy to discuss your case with you if you have not retained council yet.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics