Asked over 4 years ago - Boston, MA

my ex husband impersonated my name to create a web log with nasty stuff and connected mt weblog with my daughter;s .my daughter is only 17. what should i sue my ex for?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Richard E Weltman


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I suggest you arrange to meet in person with a MA trial attorney familiar with Internet law issues. Not every lawyer is familiar with these niche issues.

    Depending on the particular facts, you (and your daughter) may have joint and separate claims for state law defamation (libel and/or slander), invasion of privacy, violation of separate rights of publicity, as well as intentional infliction of emotional distress. You may also have statutory protection against claims for defamation or invasion of privacy under the Communications Decency Act of 1996, a federal statute (47 U.S.C. sec. 230 (f)(3)).

    Many states are criminalizing cyberbullying and online harassment. You may be entitled to a restraining order and may be able to press criminal charges if you reach out to the district attorney or town prosecutor.

    If your ex is violating the online policies of the internet service provider hosting his Web site, review the posted terms of use statement and file an appropriate demand or take-down notice by following the online instructions. Good luck to you!

    This response is offered for general guidance. Do not rely on this information as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by the exchange of emails alone.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,149 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,149 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering