Listed property on chapter 7 petition. If value is higher than I thought or increases, can I raise my exemption up to limit?

Asked about 4 years ago - Riverside, CA

The question is if some of my property like my house either goes up in value or is determined by the court to be worth more than I stated, can I simply go back in and raise my exemptions up to the max?

1. 1

Answered . The answer to this question depends on what exemption code was used (section 703 or 704).

Also, do you have other assets and did you apply exemptions to those?

If you have the exemptions available, you can amend the petition (subject to Trustee approval).

If there is a problem, you will likely have to hire an attorney to file a motion before the court for determination of asset value.

2. Answered . Yes, you can use the maximum exemption allowed to protect your property by amending Schedule C as necessary. However, be careful not to undervalue the property because you might be denied the exemption. Be ready to justify the value of each piece of property you list on Schedules A and B.