Limiting liability Limiting liability Internet Business

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am in the process of starting up an online web business. I will either set it up as an LLC or C/S corporation. I would like to know what other steps can I take to minimize liability from trademark or copyright infringement or any other type of law suit as a result of setting up my online business? Is there any insurance for this? Any advice will be appreciated.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Our firm works with Los Angeles start-ups regularly.
    In addition to setting up the corprate entity, many office liability policies do carry coverage against trademark and copyright litigation but you need a reliable insurance agent to obtain it and evaluate the extent of the coverage.

    Having a lawyer review you plans going in makes sure you are not buildinga business in a mine field. Finally having a good lawyer that one can call with regular or occasional ten minute questions will ultimately save money. One can retain an attorney at a reduced rate if they know they will receive a volume of work, or just call when you need it. Every dollar spent "double-checking" with the lawyer will save ten dollars down the road in avoided litigation.

    You may contact me via the Avvo profile is you wish to discuss further.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Kenneth Allyn Sprang

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . By creating either an LLC or a corporation you address the limited liability issue. So long as your company is adequately capitalized and operates like a company with at least some formalities, you will be limited to the assets of the company in terms of liability with the exception of payroll taxes and a few other things related to employees, for which the principal of a business may be held personally liable. (There is not insulation from liability but liability only arises if one does not pay the payroll taxes, etc.

    If you are concerned about owners of trademarks or copyright bringing a claim, you may have insulation, but I urge you to avoid that. It is a slippery slope. I am assuming you would not intentionally infringe. If you take the proper steps you can likely avoid infringement.

    You can insure against liability certainly and definitely should do so. Although I have not seen it, you probably could acquire insurance coverage to protect against unknowing infringement.

  3. Phillip Monroe Smith

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have not indicated whether you be selling services or goods. This will affect your selection of business entity. Is this an e-commerce cite or some other type of webite?

    Phillip M. Smith Jr.
    Tax and Business Attorney
    Phone: 855 IRSTAXBIZ

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,143 answers this week

2,802 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,143 answers this week

2,802 attorneys answering