Skip to main content

Like to invest around $ 60,000 to take lease of a gas station in florida, so can i apply for E2 visa for my family ?

Tampa, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

Right now my self and my family i.e my wife and 2 minor children has B1/B2 visa of the US.We are Bangladeshi citizen.soon we are going to the US for a month long visit.My 1st cousin is a US citizen he has his own grocery in gas station, i am thinking to invest $ 20000 in his shop and another $ 40000 thousand to take the lease of that gas station. Now my question is can i apply E2 visa for my family?if yes then where should i launch the application is it in my home country or in the US while i am visiting? If i apply the what might the result come out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


It's on the low end, and it depend on whether you are from a country that has a treaty with the U.S. for investor visas.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


The amount of the investment is very low and that could present a problem.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


If The US has an E-2 treaty with Bangladesh, then yes you could consider it. Applying for an E-2 visa is quite complex; will be impossible to file on your own. you will need the help of a qualified immigration lawyer in your area to explore the possibility and put the case Together for you. In situations were small investments are involved, it is always better to apply first with USC is, get it approved, develop the business further, and only then apply with the US consulate overseas.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


While the amount of investment seems low, if it can be proven that its "substantial "for the type of business investing in, the case would be approved. I have E2 visa applications approved with USCIS with investments of less than 51,000

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


Not too long ago I obtained an E-2 for an investment of a little over $60,000 in a Turkish restaurant in CA, as well as another E-2 for selling toys and other gadgets in "carts" in various malls, where the amount of investment was a little over $60,000. Both visas were obtained at the US consulate in Istanbul. US Consulate abroad are very "country sensitive" to the standard of living there. I'm sure that $60,000 or more will be considered "substantial "at the consulate in Bangladesh as well.


That amount would probably not be considered "substantial" in the eyes of the USCIS or DOS.


You can make such an investment because Bangladesh is an E-2 treaty country since 1989. However, the minimum investment should be at least $100,000.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


E-2 visa is a very complex application and you will need a sophisticated immigration attorney with some Business background to help you navigate the startegy for your investment. Consult such a lawyer before you do anything (meaning before you invest any money). An E-2 visa requires you to be the 50% or more owner of whatever business you invest in so I doubt you can invest in someone else's shop, unless they are willing to give up majority ownership and control, and $20k is probably too little for that. Talk to a lawyer sooner rather than later.

Contact: 860-548-2629 or This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.


E-2 amounts are not sufficient at this time to qualify.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


The structure of the investment and the investment amount may be insufficient to get you an E-2 visa. You would be well-advised to schedule a consultation with a US licensed immigration attorney to discuss your options for bringing your family to the United States. Many attorneys offer consultations via Skype for individuals who are located overseas. Good luck, sir!


This is a question for an immigration attorney...not a family law question. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer