Life Insurance

Fanwood, NJ |

I purchased a life insurance policy 20 years ago. I have misplaced the paperwork. The policy is active; I still pay the premiums and am current. Does the insurer have copies of my application? Can I request copies of my documents including the policy?

1. I would suggest calling the insurer before asking us what to do if the insurer does not comply with your requests.

This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

2. You need to be advised by a licensed NJ attorney with experience in insurance law. You haven't given enough infomration to answer the question. The other terms may impact the answer. There may be time limitations on your rights. I would anticipate the insurer will have a copy of the policy. I am not sure about their record keeping requirements under state law with respect to the application.

Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information. The comments of the attorney are an opinion. You may not rely on this opinion, and if you do so you are at your own risk. Another attorney may disagree with this opinion. You must retain and consult with a licensed attorney so that you have a right to rely on the advice he or she gives you.

3. This is not really a legal question. However, if you contact your agent, or other representative of your insurance company, it is likely that either the original exists in an old dusty file or there is an accurate on a computer drive.

Business topics