License suspension

Dayton, OH |

i got a dui in indiana and my license was suspended for 90 days and that suspension is up, i live in ohio, i was just informed that ohio was suspended my license for 6 months for the same crime. Can i be punished for the same crime twice in different states? does ohio have to listen to what the Indiana judge said what my suspension was?

In this situation yes. Ohio law is clear that you do not have a right to drive. Driving and licensure is a privilege and if you are charged with a crime such as DUI Ohio can put you under a BMV suspension . You can try and file for driving privileges in your local municipal court where you live. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
1626 Westbrook Drive
Beavercreek, Ohio 45434
(937)510-6110
www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

I agree with the above attorney's advice

the information provided above is for information purposes only and you should consult an attorney for specific answers to your case

Ohio can suspend your license, but my reading of the relevant statute, Revised Code section 4510.17(B), is that your Ohio suspension should end after six months or whenever your Indiana suspension ends, whichever is EARLIER.

Traffic tickets topics