Liability coverage only but was hit by a new truck and his friend was driving it and both claim no insurance.

Asked about 2 years ago - Tustin, CA

it was their fault but they have no insurance, how can i have my car get fixed? my car is total and not able to drive.

1. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

8

Answered . consult with lawyer. Report matter to DMV with SR-1 form. DMV will suspend their licenses if they cannot provide insurance. On a new vehicle- most likely financed, insurance coverage is mandatory by the lender. An attorney can also run the vehicle license plate and learn who the lender is, contact lender and get to the insurance coverage. Lastly you can file a small claims action.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

7

Answered . Report them to the DMV. They will get a letter advising them to provide their insurance policy. If none, then their license will be suspended. Do you have UM/UIM? If not, sue them in small claims court. Best of luck.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

5

Answered . If you were injured, you should retain an attorney immediately. If you were not injured, you should contact the insurance carrier for the truck, open a claim, and have your vehicle evaluated by a reputable body shop. Under California law, you are able to go to the body shop of your choice and are not forced to use the one that his insurance company "recommends".

4. Paul J Molinaro

4

Answered . One thing to consider when asking the at fault driver in a motor vehicle accident whether he or she has insurance is that said driver might lie. Steps need to be taken to find the true answer, such as getting the DMV to apply not so gentle pressure on said driver as to cause a truthful divulging of insurance status. Should injury be involved in such an accident, medical attention and legal representation should be obtained.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

5. Kevin Coluccio

4

Answered . You will likely need to sue in small claims court.