Lexisnexis gives me a failed background check. I have lost two opportunities. Why: My social security is less than 5yrs old. Ok?

San Luis Obispo, CA |

Came to the US two and a half years ago on green card from Africa.

The first opportunity was for a job with Walgreen. I did all tests including urine test and passed. My background test failed and I lost the opportunity.

The second Opportunity was from tutoring client (through wyzant - online) who requested a background test before we begin tutoring. I failed and lost the client.

I called lexisnexis and they said there is nothing they can do. They asked me to show my social security to my potential company. I fear I will continue loosing opportunities because employers will generally have a negative attitude to a failed background test.

I'm unclear: are you saying your background check is coming back as "failed" because your social security number is less than 5 years old?

It is illegal to discriminate against people based on their national origin. So long as you are in the country legally, refusing to hire you because of a young SSN may constitute disparate impact national origin discrimination.

You may want to consult with a plaintiff's employment attorney in your area. You can find some wonderful attorneys on the website of the California Employment Lawyers' Association at

Good luck, and I wish you the best.

Craig T. Byrnes

Disclaimer: Please be aware that I am not offering legal advice, nor forming an attorney-client relationship with you. I am not representing you, nor doing anything to protect your legal rights. If you believe that you have suffered a legal wrong, take action before any statute or limitations expires, or your right to do so may be lost forever. Good luck in your legal matter.

lexis nexis I'm sure has cost me a few jobs. thanfully one of them called me to tell my my social is registered to someone else!?! I went straight to the local social security office and they said there is nothing wrong with my number and it's registered to me. so lexis nexis has some bad/wrong info about people. I wish I could sue them for it...who knows how many good jobs they cost me.

Recommended articles about Employment