Let my sister use my extra car, she got into an accident and did not have insurance or pay the insurance bill.

Dyersburg, TN |

My Sister went to court and the case was dropped due to a technicality. We both then got a letter from the Law Firm that is representing the insurance company of the person that got hit, they are no accepting payment plans and will sue us and take both out licenses until paid in full. Can they do this to me even though I had nothing to do with the accident? So will a judge actually take away my license or see that my sister is at fault here? What are my options? Just want to get some info before I call the law firm and get strong armed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

1. Yes. It's a tough lesson to lesson, but you know to get insurance in the future so you don't ruin your life.

2. You knowingly allowed your sister drive your uninsured vehicle. I think you are stuck. You may want to consult with a local attorney for advice.

3. Most states require auto insurance and at a minimum to protect others when you lend your car out. It sounds like you and your sister will be using the bus a lot unless the insurance company changes their tune.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

4. You need to consult a local lawyer to fully analyze the issues. You, as the owner of the vehicle, could be liable under a variety of legal theories. Unfortunately, you and your sister's interest are in conflict (unless you agree to waive the conflict and pay the damage). Thus, it would be wise for you to consult an attorney.

-This response to an anonymous query does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied upon as legal advice as to any particular matter. A legal analysis of the specific facts of each case, not just the information provided in the query, is necessary to analyze a case and to give legal advice. -I have not investigated your case and am expressing no opinion as to its merits or the likelihood of whether you would prevail. -I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney about this matter without delay to ensure your rights will not be lost or jeopardized. Time limits may apply to any claim you may have against third parties. If you wish to proceed with your claim, it is important to act immediately. Failure to do so may bar your claim based upon time limits established by statutory law, court rules or case law. If your claim is barred based upon time limits, you will not be able to pursue any action to recover damages or other relief. Because I do not represent you, I have not researched and have not advised you regarding the application of time limits to any claims you may have.