Let my sister use my extra car, she got into an accident and did not have insurance or pay the insurance bill.

Asked 9 months ago - Dyersburg, TN

My Sister went to court and the case was dropped due to a technicality. We both then got a letter from the Law Firm that is representing the insurance company of the person that got hit, they are no accepting payment plans and will sue us and take both out licenses until paid in full. Can they do this to me even though I had nothing to do with the accident? So will a judge actually take away my license or see that my sister is at fault here? What are my options? Just want to get some info before I call the law firm and get strong armed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

1. James Matthew Kirby

5

Answered . You need to consult a local lawyer to fully analyze the issues. You, as the owner of the vehicle, could be liable under a variety of legal theories. Unfortunately, you and your sister's interest are in conflict (unless you agree to waive the conflict and pay the damage). Thus, it would be wise for you to consult an attorney.

Pro

4

Answered . Yes. It's a tough lesson to lesson, but you know to get insurance in the future so you don't ruin your life.

3. Dennis Wayne Tackett

Pro

4

Answered . You knowingly allowed your sister drive your uninsured vehicle. I think you are stuck. You may want to consult with a local attorney for advice.

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

Answered . Most states require auto insurance and at a minimum to protect others when you lend your car out. It sounds like you and your sister will be using the bus a lot unless the insurance company changes their tune.