Lemon for a car

Tallahassee, FL |

A family member of mine went an bought car from a used automobile dealership, the car that was purchased had no warranty on it. We test drove the car and the owner told my family member and I, that it was a really good car. So my family member gave the owner the deposit for the car. A couple of weeks after having the car the car started running hot, my family member went and bought parts for the car hoping that it would stop it from running hot. After buying parts and fluid and things for the car it still didn't help the problem. My family member informed the owner and nothing really was done to repair the car and the following week the car broke down beside the road and my family member called and told the owner to come and get the car. What can my family member do about this?

Based on these facts alone, you do not have a lemon law claim as lemon law is warranty law and you received no warranty. Regardless, often times dealers either set a car up to run for a little while, which can be a fraud OR they simply do a poor job of filling out paperwork, which can give you other rights. It's best to find someone local who knows this area of law for a low or no fee consultation.

Find someone good here:

There is no real way to say what you can do without going over all the sales paperwork and listening to the whole story to find how the dealer violated the law and that really means you should talk to a local lemon lawyer near you right away. You can find a list of them at They don't pay to be listed there and most of them are members of the only national professional group in the country, Thanks for asking and good luck.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes