Legally bind to have employees sign a non-competition contract?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Recently some of my workers left my restaurant and opened their own within a few blocks from my own. It is legally bind to have employees sign a paper/contract saying:

-They cannot work as competitors within 5 miles after termination for 12 months

-They cannot open the same type of business within 5 miles from mine

-After termination, they can not contact current employees for recruiting purpose.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Kristine S Karila

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Noncompete agreements of the type you want to enforce are not enforceable in CA. You can have a contract in which employees gree not to recuit or solicit your employees, though and to not use or disclose your trade secrets.

  2. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Karila. Non-competes are not enforeceable in California unless in connection with the sale of a business including the goodwill. Non-solicitation (your third point) is not the same as non-complete and may be enforeceable.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. John Valentine Jr.

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The only permissible restriction would be to bar the solicitation of current employees. The other non-compete restrictions you propose are not valid in California. If you fire an employee for refusing to sign an unlawful non-compete agreement they will have a claim against you for wrongful termination in violation of public policy.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Offices... more
  4. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I concur with attorney Karila. You should retail a local employment law attorney to draft your documents - worth the attorney fee in the long run.

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,540 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,540 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering