Legally bind to have employees sign a non-competition contract?

Asked 11 months ago - San Francisco, CA

Recently some of my workers left my restaurant and opened their own within a few blocks from my own. It is legally bind to have employees sign a paper/contract saying:

-They cannot work as competitors within 5 miles after termination for 12 months

-They cannot open the same type of business within 5 miles from mine

-After termination, they can not contact current employees for recruiting purpose.

1. Kristine S Karila

9

1

Answered . Noncompete agreements of the type you want to enforce are not enforceable in CA. You can have a contract in which employees gree not to recuit or solicit your employees, though and to not use or disclose your trade secrets.

2. Michael Charles Doland

6

Answered . I agree with Ms. Karila. Non-competes are not enforeceable in California unless in connection with the sale of a business including the goodwill. Non-solicitation (your third point) is not the same as non-complete and may be enforeceable.

3. John Valentine Jr.

4

Answered . The only permissible restriction would be to bar the solicitation of current employees. The other non-compete restrictions you propose are not valid in California. If you fire an employee for refusing to sign an unlawful non-compete agreement they will have a claim against you for wrongful termination in violation of public policy.

4. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . I concur with attorney Karila. You should retail a local employment law attorney to draft your documents - worth the attorney fee in the long run.