Legally, how much time do I need to allow my spouse to get his personal belongings out of the house?

I was married last year & my husband decided that he did not want to work on our communication difficulties so he left the house 1/18 and announced he would be sending separation paperwork on 1/23; of couse his adultery did not help with communication. The house was mine prior to the marriage. I provided him 2.5 weeks advanced notice when I would be out of town for 4 days, which included a weekend & two days he was not working & advised him to come get his belongings. My husband responded ok. The night before I returned I received an email indicating that he was not able to get all of his things because he underestimated what he had; he left all his furniture. He then advised that he needed 3 to 4 weeks advanced notice "to obtain resources" so he could obtain his things.

Chesapeake, VA -

Find Out More

Edward V O'Connor Jr.

Edward V O'Connor Jr.

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

You need to give him a reasonable amount of time to remove his property. I would suggest you consult with a family law attorney about what a court in your area would view as reasonable. You could have a mutual friend help you pack up and inventory his property so it is easier to pick up. You may want to video his property before packing it to show the condition it was in when you packed it