Legal to film police officers in the state of Arizona?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tucson, AZ

Am I legally authorized to film police officers or government officials with a video or cellular camera without their consent, but in pain view (ex: officers are able to see they are being filmed). Is it legal for me to do this even if there is no arrests or confrontation?

1. David J Don

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally, taking video pictures of things that are plainly visible in public is a constitutional right under the First Amendment. Some states have attempted to criminalize the taking of audio recordings without consent of all the parties, but Arizona is not among them. While you have some rights to record government officials in public places, the law does not extend to justify trespassing or interfering with government business.

2. Kristen Jane DeWitt-Lopez

Answered . There are a lot of variables here, but be aware that there have been cases of people charged with Illegal Wiretapping for filming police officers during stops or arrests. Proceed with caution.