Legal stay after extension denied. L1B and I-94 already expired

Asked 6 months ago - Naperville, IL

My L1B visa and I-94 date is expiring on 1st week of July 2014. My employer has filed an extension with a basic processing in 2nd week of May. As per the current trend, USCIS is taking 3-4 months to process an extension. My question is if my extension is denied, then after the denial date how many days can i stay in US legally to wind up the things.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would not remain in the US for over 10 days if your extension is denied.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Jeff L. Khurgel


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The laws are quite strict in this regard. Immediately following the application denial you begin to accrue unlawful presence and must depart the U.S. In anticipation of that happening, you'd be well advised to discuss options with an immigration attorney.

    Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and State Department Embassy Officer. His comments on Avvo are general advice,... more
  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The laws are clear and unforgiving in that regard. Immediately upon the issuance of a denial decision you are deemed to be out of status and begin to accrue "unlawful presence" in the country and consequently must depart ASAP. A period of 10 days after your having received the denial notice is reasonable, but a few more days will not make your situation any worse than what it is going to be once a denial decision is issued.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Visa extensions

If you are visiting the US on a nonimmigrant visa and wish to stay longer, it is possible to file an extension, but there are restrictions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,379 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,379 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering