Legal Rationale Vs Defense Strategy?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

What is the difference between Legal Rationale and Defense Strategy?

How could one establish Legal Rationale without giving information on Defense Strategy?

Are there any samples to contrast the two?

Appreciate your help - I do not have text books.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

5

Answered . Legal rationale is what gets you from the facts and law to a particular conclusion. Therefore, once you identify the issue, you then apply the facts to the applicable law. The process of using legal rationale helps you to arrive at the conclusion for your argument. You always need legal rationale to convince the court and to convince the opposing side to agree with your position.

Defense strategy is to road map of how a defendant defeats the plaintiff. The strategy can be both procedural and substantive. Procedural defenses are typically motions which make the court rule in the defendant's favor early on in the case to obviate the necessity for a trial. Substantive defenses usually require collecting evidence such as by written discovery and taking oral depositions. With the appropriate evidence, the defendant can effectively demolish or defend the plaintiff's claim(s) by the time the case gets to trial.

2. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . This is really a homework assignment without any practical application. Good news, the answer is in your textbook and/or class notes.

3. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

1

Answered . Avvo. com
    "Expert Advice When You Need it Most."

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  4. Dave Bahr

1

Answered . I concur with my colleague's response.