Legal ramifications for damage caused by letting unlicensed driver pull my car up the driveway at friends house.

Asked over 1 year ago - Scottsdale, AZ

This girl at a party I recently attended was begging me to let her drive my car. I refused as she did not have a license. I offered to take her for a ride around the neighborhood (myself driving). Upon arriving back at the house which belongs to a mutual friend's parents she was still begging to drive the car. I parked the car at the end of the driveway and said she could finish pulling the car up the driveway. She then got in put the car in gear and rolled into the corner of our friends house. Before this she had been constantly assuring me she knew how to drive and was capable of such a simple task. All parties were 100% sober no alcohol or drugs involved.

1. Randall Richard Sevenish

Pro

3

Answered . You can report it to your insurance company and if they deny it since she had no driver’s license, the homeowner could come after you or both of you to pay for their damages. Good luck.

2. Michael Lewis Eisner

3

Answered . Many jurisdictions have liability for negligent entrustment of a motor vehicle. You should immediately report it to your insurance company and demand a defense. As long as you have coverage, they should provide you with a lawyer.

3. Christy Thompson

1

Answered . I agree with the previous answers, if your vehicle did cause damage to your friend's house and you entrusted your car to the girl who ended up causing the damage, your friend could come after your insurance and/or the girl for the repairs to their house. Good luck.