Legal posting for NO TRESPASSING on S.C. private property.

Lyman, SC |

We own about 3 acres surrounding us . It is dangerous with deep holes , old glass and metal trash someone dumped years ago . AND there is now a beaver pond creating deep dirty water . We don't want anyone to get hurt AND we don't want to be liable if they do get hurt . What specific sign will be legal ? Keep Out , Danger , no trespassing , posted , etc . AND is there a specific legal distance between signs and at what height ? Thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer .

I made a mistake. Atty Futeral was the BEST ANSWER! not Atty Taylor. Couldn't figure out how to fix my mistake.

If a person knows that people pass through the property they would have some duty to at least post danger signs. "No trespassing" would help, but known dangerous conditions may require a little more, generally because there are known trespassers and known dangers. There is no liability if you don't know or don't anticipate people trespassing or the danger was unknown.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck
Ian A. Taylor
The Taylor Law Office L.L.C. | (843) 314-4313
Pawleys Island, SC
Estates. Probate. Adult Guardianship. Real Estate. Insurance.

The Rules of Professional Conduct for my state only allow me to provide general legal information regarding your question. I am unable to offer my services directly or specific answers to your question. The information provided is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship and shall not be construed as legal advice. Therefore, the resources or information given is provided as general information only. I caution Askers not to attempt to solve individual problems upon the basis of the information contained therein.

I'm confused, but that's norm for me. Is it better to post or NOT post? There was one neighbor boy I told and then told his folks about why we didn't want him to cross through so he wouldn't get hurt number one and so we won't be liable #2. There's a hole from ground hog that I covered with briars to avoid accident there. I haven't found all holes, etc since we haven't been here long enough. BUT this one hole is up to my knees, so maybe almost up to his waist. Told parents cause he tried to sneak around to go thru there. I raised boys and can appreciate his love for woods, but to get to fort on someone elses property he tried to go thru ours. So will this actual example help to clarify if best to POST or NOT? thanks

Ian Andrew Taylor

Ian Andrew Taylor

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. We can't provide specific advice for specific information on this site. You may be confused because we can only lay out general information in regards to the questions. That being said ask yourself what would make you more comfortable and what sounds practical or make sense. I think you'll find that some answers are not necessarily a legal question, but whether the steps you take would make you or someone else safe.

Okay with that in mind. I believe I shouldn't put the word Danger on our KEEP OUT signs. And if I were a parent of minor, I'd expect to be responsible for my kids' actions irregardless of legal implications.

There is no legal height or distance requirements. No trespassing or keep out signs should suffice provided they are in conspicuous areas. You may want to post danger signs around the pond. Although that may protect you from liability for adult trespassers, the same is not necessarily true of any children may decide to enter the pond.

This response is for informational purposes and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The attorneys of Futeral & Nelson, LLC practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the law firm of Futeral & Nelson, LLC may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. The lawyers of the Futeral & Nelson, LLC are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site or the linked sites without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

I made a mistake. THIS Atty Futeral is the BEST ANSWER, not Atty Taylor.