Legal posting for NO TRESPASSING on S.C. private property.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lyman, SC

We own about 3 acres surrounding us . It is dangerous with deep holes , old glass and metal trash someone dumped years ago . AND there is now a beaver pond creating deep dirty water . We don't want anyone to get hurt AND we don't want to be liable if they do get hurt . What specific sign will be legal ? Keep Out , Danger , no trespassing , posted , etc . AND is there a specific legal distance between signs and at what height ? Thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer .

I made a mistake. Atty Futeral was the BEST ANSWER! not Atty Taylor. Couldn't figure out how to fix my mistake.

1. Stephan Victor Futeral

3

1

Answered . There is no legal height or distance requirements. No trespassing or keep out signs should suffice provided they are in conspicuous areas. You may want to post danger signs around the pond. Although that may protect you from liability for adult trespassers, the same is not necessarily true of any children may decide to enter the pond.

2. Ian Andrew Taylor

1

Best Answer

Answered . If a person knows that people pass through the property they would have some duty to at least post danger signs. "No trespassing" would help, but known dangerous conditions may require a little more, generally because there are known trespassers and known dangers. There is no liability if you don't know or don't anticipate people trespassing or the danger was unknown.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck
    Ian A. Taylor
    The Taylor Law Office L.L.C. | (843) 314-4313
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Estates. Probate. Adult Guardianship. Real Estate. Insurance.