Legal name change with prior felony

El Cajon, CA |

Can I legally change my first name if I have had a prior felony that is now expunged ? I am in California. If so what do I need to know and or do ? Any special requirements on my part as a prior felony?

Yes, you can legally apply for a name change. The procedures are complex. The real basis for denial of a name change application is if the court finds there is intended fraud involved. As long as there is no basis for finding fraud, the prior conviction should not iterfere.

You can legally change your name but that will not erase your past. It it could every felon in CA would change their name. Your record might read after a name change "Old Name, also known as New Name" or vice versa. You can't escape the past.

Not looking to change past. I just have a bad wrap with my name online when searched / googled . With the ever increasing of employers now searching google for candidates names I have had a hard time even with a expunged record due to some articles and u tube videos.

I wish there was something else I could do but unfortunately I don't control google or u tube .

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

You don't have a bad wrap;you have a criminal record which a background check will uncover even if you change your name to Donald Duck.

Yes you can change your name. Your criminal record will still come up in any background search.

Mr. Roberts, as an attorney you should know better that an expunged record in California does not show up on a background check unless you're applying to work for a bank or a major financial institution. But again, there are many lame ass lawyers out there like yourself that like to make off-the-wall comments.