Legal inmigration and marriage

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

Good afternoon,
my father just give me the U.S. citizenship, we have the idea with my boyfriend, to marry the coming year 2014, and early 2015 go to America and ask for his papers, i dont know if it is the green card or the citizen. Do you think there will be any problems?
we have no children, no problems with the law and less immigration, I have granted a tourist visa 3 times and he has an European passport, we went together two times to United States. There will be any problem? Do you recommend starting the papers of my boyfriend here where we live, or do it in the U.S. as we arrived?

Talk with a local immigration attorney. The answers in this forum can only provide you general information; none can really address the specifics of your case. You should consult with an experienced attorney, licensed in your jurisdiction, about the specific facts and details of the case. A skilled attorney in your jurisdiction will know which questions to ask you about your situation in order to assist you with making an appropriate determination regarding your situation. Once you've met with a local lawyer about your case the case you should be better able to make an informed decision regarding your issue. Many lawyers, in a majority of jurisdictions, provide free initial consultations; see if there are any in your area.

This is not legal advice. This response is provided for general information only, as a public service. It is not to be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship; nor is it an attempt to create an attorney/client relationship. Consult with local counsel in your jurisdiction about the specifics of your case, which is the only way to gain true meaningful legal guidance and/or representation.

A U.S. citizen can petition a spouse or fiancee for immigration benefits. It's good that you are looking into this now, as the timing can sometimes be tricky. Click on the article below for further information.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in all 50 States and Worldwide / 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.

Edward Brandon Beckham

Edward Brandon Beckham

Some great info from Mr. Khurgel.

If you sponsor your husband abroad, there should be no problems, but if he enters the US on a tourist visa and you sponsor him in the US, there could be problems.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration