Legal Guardian immigrating to US

Asked over 5 years ago - Lancaster, PA

My husband is a dual Fil/Us citizen. I am a US citizen. We live in the Philippines. We are the legal guardians of a little girl from the same island as my husband. For many reasons we are not adopting her but we are her legal guardians. We now want to return to the States at least for a couple of years. Can we bring our young daughter who we have legal guardianship for. Can she become a permanent US resident? What are the requirements?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Manjunath A. Gokare

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . I would think it would be next to impossible to bring the child here to the US and also confer immigration benefits to the child without a formal adoption. You must make sure you comply with all local adoption procedures as US consulates are very sensitive to this due to a high potential for fraud. In short I would suggest hiring US Immigration lawyers to assist you navigate this process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,301 answers this week

3,006 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,301 answers this week

3,006 attorneys answering