Legal fees for winning the Domestic Voilence case

My wife filed false DV cases against me and left me bankrupt with legal fees. She filed several false police complaints in vengence after divorce papers were served. She says she doesn't have money for her legal fees and quit her job shamelessly asking for spousal support. I was told I can file a request to ask for legal fees from her if I win DV cases. Is that true. Is she supposed to pay my attorney fees if court believes that the cases were false. All the police reports and DV cases were proved false.. she is just a jerk and mad woman.

Los Angeles, CA -

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Employment / Labor Attorney - Irvine, CA

California Civil Code Section 1708.6 is the code section that gives purported victims of domestic abuse the right to sue civilly. There is a right to attorney fees in the statute, but it is only for the successful plaintiff. It is not a mutual fee entitlement. As the successful defendant you are not entitled to fee under that section.

However, California Family Code section 6344 provides that where there has been a request for protective order related to domestic violence brought under the Family Code provisions, "after notice and a hearing, the court may issue an order for the payment of attorney's fees and costs of the prevailing party." Therefore, if that is the basis sought for the action by your ex, you need to bring a motion seeking payment of your fees and costs as the prevailing party.

Good luck to you.

Good luck to you.

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Criminal Defense Attorney - Tustin, CA

A criminal defense attorney cannot take fees based on whether they win or not. Now, if you're talking about suing her for your damages (fees, etc.) in civil court, you can try that.

Related Advice